Monday, June 01, 2009
Ind. Decisions - Upcoming oral arguments this week and next
This week's oral arguments before the Supreme Court (week of 6/1/09):
- None currently scheduled.
Next week's oral arguments before the Supreme Court (week of 6/8/09):
Thursday, June 11th
- 9:00 AM - Robert E. Money v. State of Indiana - In a "blind plea," Money pleaded guilty to a class A felony and to being an habitual offender. The Floyd Superior Court denied post-conviction relief on Money's claim that counsel had been ineffective for failing to advise Money he had not been eligible for an habitual offender enhancement. The Court of Appeals affirmed in an unpublished memorandum decision. Money has petitioned the Supreme Court to accept jurisdiction over the appeal.
[Money v. State (Ind. Ct. App. Dec. 18, 2008)]
- 9:45 AM - Suzanne Hamilton v. Richard W. Hamilton - Suzanne Hamilton filed an action in Indiana to enforce a Florida court order requiring Richard Hamilton to pay child support. The Vanderburgh Superior Court entered multiple orders that found Richard in contempt, but stayed the related jail sentence on condition Richard made child support payments in an amount less than that ordered by the Florida court. On Suzanne's appeal from such an order, the Court of Appeals affirmed, concluding the Superior Court had not modified the Florida child support order in violation of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act and Richard was not in contempt of the Superior Court order. Hamilton v. Hamilton, 895 N.E.2d 397 (Ind. Ct. App. Oct. 29, 2008), vacated. The Supreme Court has granted a petition to transfer the case and has assumed jurisdiction over the appeal.
ALL Supreme Court oral arguments are videocast and accessible here, unless otherwise noted.
This week's oral arguments before the Court of Appeals (week of 6/1/09):
- None currently scheduled.
Next week's oral arguments before the Court of Appeals (week of 6/8/09):
Tuesday, June 9th
- 1:30 PM - Ruben Maldonado vs. State of Indiana - This is a post-conviction being appealed by appellant. Whether or not the post-conviction court was incorrect to find the evidence which was barred was covered by the Rape Shield Statute. The Scheduled Panel Members are: Chief Judge Baker, Judges May and Barnes. [Where: Indiana Court of Appeals Courtroom -- WEBCAST]
Wednesday, June 10th
- 2:00 PM - Daniel Reed vs. State of Indiana - A jury convicted Daniel J. Reed, Jr., of class A felony dealing in methamphetamine; class D felony neglect of a dependent; and class A misdemeanor possession of marijuana. In this direct appeal, he raises the following issues: (1) that the State's initial dismissal of a class B felony dealing in methamphetamine charge and subsequent refiling of the charge as a class A felony violated his substantial rights and his right to a speedy trial; (2) that the trial court erred in admitting illegally-obtained evidence; and (3) that his sentence is inappropriate pursuant to Indiana Appellate Rule 7(B). The Scheduled Panel Members are: Judges Riley, Darden and Barnes. [Where: Indiana Court of Appeals Courtroom -- WEBCAST]
ONLY those Court of Appeals oral arguments presented in the Supreme or Court of Appeals Courtrooms will be accessible via videocast.
NOTE: For a printable version of this list of upcoming oral arguments, click on the date in the next line. Then select "Print" from your browser.
Posted by Marcia Oddi on June 1, 2009 08:00 AM
Posted to Upcoming Oral Arguments