Friday, February 26, 2010
Ind. Decisions - Supreme Court grants five transfers [Updated]
The ILB has just received notice that the Supreme Court granted transfer Thursday to five cases:
- Indiana High School Athletic Association v. Jasmine S. Watson (71S03-1002-CV-119 -- 71A03-0901-CV-25)
Here is the ILB summary of the Sept. 25, 2009, 2-1 COA opinion. See also this Sept. 25th entry quoting a South Bend Tribune story headed "Appellate court rules for ex-Washington High player Watson: IHSAA appeal denied in South Bend basketball case."
- Matter of the Estate of Harry L. Rickert (180S04-1002-CV-11 -- 18A04-0812-CV-746)
Here is the ILB summary of the Sept. 8, 2009, 2-1 COA opinion (2nd case). From the dissent: "I simply am convinced that our supreme court’s Banko decision is binding precedent we must follow."
- U.S. Bank, NA v. Integrity Land Title Corp. (17S03-1002-CV-120 -- 17A03-0812-CV-577)
This case was decided by a 3-0 vote of the COA on June 16, 2009 (ILB summary, 5th case). On Oct. 9, 2009, in a 2-1 opinion on a petition for rehearing, the concludes writes: "Consequently, we exercise our inherent authority to reconsider our original opinion and hereby vacate our reversal of summary judgment on U.S. Bank’s contract claim. In other words, we affirm the trial court in all respects." See ILB here, 2nd case.
- Christine Dugan v. Mittal Steel USA, Inc., et al. (45S05-1002-CV-121 -- 45A05-0902-CV-69)
Here is the ILB summary of the Aug. 21, 2009 COA opinion. The case involves defamation, qualified privilege, and the common interest privilege.
- Anne M. Bingley v. Charles B. Bingley (02S03-1002-CV-122 -- 02A03-0904-CV-187)
Here is the ILB summary of the Oct. 30, 2009 COA opinion (3rd case).
"Anne raises a single issue, which we revise and restate as whether the trial court erred in concluding that Charles's employer-paid post-retirement health insurance premiums were not a marital asset subject to division."
Posted by Marcia Oddi on February 26, 2010 04:23 PM
Posted to Indiana Transfer Lists