Monday, November 22, 2010
Ind. Decisions - Upcoming oral arguments this week and next
This week's oral arguments before the Supreme Court (week of 11/22/10):
Tuesday, November 23rd
- 9:00 AM - Citizens State Bank of New Castle v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., et al. (76S03-1009-CV-515) - In this strict foreclosure action, the trial court entered summary judgment for a mortgagee and its transferee against a judgment lien holder who had been omitted from the original foreclosure action. The Court of Appeals reversed and remanded. 922 N.E.2d 655 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010), vacated. The Supreme Court has granted a petition to transfer the case and has assumed jurisdiction over the appeal.
ILB: See ILB summary here from March 5, 2010 - concerns Indiana law regarding priority rights when a foreclosing mortgagee sells the property to a third party.
- 9:45 AM - Noe Romo v. State of Indiana (49S04-1009-CR-499) - Over Romo’s objection, the Marion Superior Court admitted into evidence audio recordings of the defendant and an informant speaking Spanish, along with an English-translation transcript of the recording, and denied Romo’s request that the recordings be played for the jury. Romo was convicted on three counts of dealing in cocaine, a class A felony. The Court of Appeals affirmed in Romo v. State, 929 N.E.2d 805 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010), vacated. The Supreme Court has granted a petition to transfer the case and has assumed jurisdiction over the appeal.
ILB: A June 23, 2010 opinion (ILB summary here) involving (translated) transcripts of taped drug transactions.
- 10:30 AM - Randy Edward Johnson v. State of Indiana (53A01-1002-CR-38) - Following a jury trial in the Monroe Circuit Court, Johnson was convicted of child molesting, a class A felony. The Court of Appeals affirmed in Johnson v. State, 928 N.E.2d 893 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010), vacated. Johnson argues, in part, that the trial court should have responded differently to his complaints about his public defender.
ILB: A June 29, 2010 COA opinion: "Based on the foregoing, we conclude that the trial court conducted an adequate inquiry into Johnson’s complaints regarding the quality of his trial counsel’s representation while his criminal case was unfolding and that the State did not commit prosecutorial misconduct during closing arguments."
Next week's oral arguments before the Supreme Court (week of 11/29/10):
- No oral arguments scheduled.
Webcasts of Supreme Court oral arguments are available here.
This week's oral arguments before the Court of Appeals (week of 11/22/10):
- No oral arguments scheduled.
Next week's oral arguments before the Court of Appeals (week of 11/29/10):
Next Tuesday, November 30th
- 11:00 AM - Presbytery of Ohio Valley, et al vs. OPC, Inc., et al (82A02-1003-MF-339 ) - Dispute between a local congregation and the greater denominational church involving rights to church property following dismissal of the local congregation to another denomination. The Scheduled Panel Members are: Chief Judge Baker, Judges Najam and Mathias. [Where: Court of Appeals Courtroom (WEBCAST)]
- 2:30 PM - Ryan Rogers v. State of Indiana (79A05-1005-CR-265) - Appellant appeals his conviction for class B felony neglect of a dependent. The Scheduled Panel Members are: Chief Judge Baker, Judges Najam and Vaidik. [Where: Supreme Court Courtroom (WEBCAST)]
ONLY those Court of Appeals oral arguments presented in the Supreme or Court of Appeals Courtrooms will be accessible via videocast.
The past COA webcasts which have been webcast are accessible here.
NOTE: For a printable version of this list of upcoming oral arguments, click on the date in the next line. Then select "Print" from your browser.
Posted by Marcia Oddi on November 22, 2010 07:58 AM
Posted to Upcoming Oral Arguments