« Courts - "Second Circuit’s DOMA Decision: A Road Map for SCOTUS?" | Main | Ind. Courts - "Merrillville Town Court shuts the book on new civil cases" »

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Ind. Gov't. - "When to Call Your Elected Representatives for Help"

Ron Lieber's "Your Money" column in the Saturday NY Times is about the areas where the staff of your U.S. Senator or Congressman may be able to offer a lot of help. A few quotes:

Every one of them has employees who do what is known as constituent service, helping people with thorny problems that may involve a federal agency. Most often, they are trying to sort out Social Security problems, federal disability filings, Internal Revenue Service headaches, veterans’ benefits and mortgage issues. Immigration requests involving small-business employees and newly married couples are common, too.

These staff members often refer to their efforts on your behalf as casework and treat it as a social worker would, keeping files on each person who seeks help. “When we hire new workers, I tell them that the only difference between customer service and constituent service is the way you spell it,” said Mike Cantwell, the district director for Representative Steve Chabot, Republican of Ohio.

Posted by Marcia Oddi on October 20, 2012 12:45 PM
Posted to Indiana Government