Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Ind. Courts - "What’s in store for the next judge of Tippecanoe Superior Court 3?"
Sophia Voravong of the Lafayette Journal Courier has a long story today looking at the potential successors for now-Justice Loretta Rush's former seat on the Tippecanoe County juvenile court. The story reports that:
For now, Tippecanoe County Senior Judge Thomas Milligan — he retired in 2010 after 36 years behind the bench in Montgomery Circuit Court — is serving as pro tem.Here, from the sidebar, are the judicial candidates:
But Gov. Mitch Daniels is expected to soon choose one of six applicants as Rush’s replacement. That person will fulfill the remaining one month and four years of Rush’s third, elected term.
Six people have applied to fill the remaining four years and one month of Loretta Rush’s term:The remainder of the story looks in detail at "the issues that Rush has repeatedly cited as her top concerns." They include Child in Need of Services (CHINS) cases, children and drugs, and teen pregnancy.
• Tom Brooks Jr., a Lafayette-based attorney. He was counsel for Tippecanoe County’s Court Appointed Special Advocates program for 10 years.
• Cindy Garwood, Lafayette general practice attorney. She previously was the part-time magistrate of Tippecanoe County’s IV-D court, which handles child support and paternity matters.
• Faith Graham, who has been Tippecanoe County’s only juvenile magistrate since January 2006, when the full-time position was created to alleviate the court’s caseload.
• Chuck Hagen, a Tippecanoe County deputy prosecutor. He’s been assigned to juvenile court matters since 2000.
• Rebecca Trent, a Brookston-based general practice attorney. She previously ran for elected trial court judge seats and, most recently, applied for an Indiana appellate court vacancy.
• Laura Zeman, a Clinton County deputy prosecutor assigned to crimes against children. She previously handled child- and sex-crime cases in Tippecanoe County, served one term as Tippecanoe Superior Court 5 judge and was Tippecanoe County’s first magistrate.
Posted by Marcia Oddi on November 13, 2012 09:46 AM
Posted to Indiana Courts