« Ind. Courts - More on "ACLU of Indiana Challenges Marion County Judicial Election System" | Main | Ind. courts - Indianapolis Star endorses Justice David »

Friday, November 02, 2012

Ind. Gov't. - "Measure to prevent fraud at polls worries Elkhart voters"

Angelle Barbazon and Tim Vandenack report today in the Elkhart Truth:

The Elkhart County Clerk’s Office has received several complaints in the past couple of weeks about a new step poll workers are taking to avoid voter fraud before Election Day.

Eunice Worden, who lives in the Dunlap area, was taken aback last week at an early voting site in Elkhart when a poll worker asked for the last four digits of her social security number, adding that providing the information was optional.

“It caught me off guard because there has been so much on the news about voter suppression,” Worden said, adding that her daughter had a similar experience.

A change in legislation now requires poll workers to ask for social security number information, an extra measure county clerk Wendy Hudson said the government is taking to prevent voter fraud.

“We have to ask for it and tell voters it’s optional to answer, but the voters do not have to provide the information,” Hudson explained.

Still, Worden said the new rule does not make sense.

“My question is, if it didn’t make any difference whether you gave them your social security four-digit number or not, why ask,” Worden wonders.

At the polls, voters must present an identification card issued by the state of Indiana or the U.S. government that includes their name and photo. The card must be current or expired after Nov. 2, 2010. Other common forms of identification accepted at voting sites include military IDs, state school IDs and passports as long as they meet the four standards regarding identification cards.

ILB: But you will also need identification to receive a "identification card" at the BMV. According to the BMV, the most common documents that you can use to prove your identity include an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, or a U.S. passport.

Posted by Marcia Oddi on November 2, 2012 09:50 AM
Posted to Indiana Government