Thursday, December 27, 2012
Ind. Gov't. - Bev Gard to head new Environmental Rules Board
The 2012 General Assembly abolished the Air, Water, and Waste Boards effective Dec. 31, 2012, replacing them with a single Environmental Rules Board. Here is the official release from the Governor today:
Indiana Environmental Rules Board
The board was created during the 2012 legislative session to combine the functions of the former air pollution control, water pollution control and solid waste management boards. These are the first appointments to the board. Legislation required that initial members be appointed by December 31, 2012.
Membership: 16 members, 11 of whom are gubernatorial appointees from various industries and the general public. The commissioners of the state departments of health and environmental management, the director of the department of natural resources, the lieutenant governor and the secretary of commerce are ex officio members of the board.
· Local government representative: Joanna Alexandrovich, Evansville, is the ozone officer at the Vanderburgh County Health Department.
· Environmental interests representatives: Tom Anderson, Michigan City, is the owner of Conservation Connections, LLC a conservation consulting group.
· Manufacturing representative: Gail Boydston, Indianapolis, is manager of environmental services at Eli Lilly.
· Public utility representative: Kelly Carmichael, Merrillville, is director of environmental policy and permitting at NiSource, Inc.
· Solid waste management industry representative: Cal Davidson, Clayton, is recycling manager at Ray’s Trash Service.
· Small business representative: Bill Etzler, LaOtto, is vice president and regional manager for Aqua Indiana. He will serve as vice chairman of the board.
· General public representative: Beverly Gard, Greenfield, former Indiana state senator and former chair of the state senate energy and environmental affairs committee. She will chair the board.
· Labor representative: Chris Horn, Lynnville, recently retired from ALCOA Aluminum
· Health professional representative: Ted Niemiec, East Chicago, is medical director and manager of health services at ArcelorMittal Indiana Harbor.
· General public representative: Gary Powdrill, former member of water pollution control board and Indiana State Chamber of Commerce environmental committee.
· Agricultural representative: Ken Rulon, Arcadia, operates his family owned farm, Rulon Enterprises.
Terms expire December 31, 2016.