« Law - Should your elderly parents still have a gun in their home? | Main | Environment - "The Fourth Circuit handed down a primer on CERCLA liability last week in PCS Nitrogen Inc. v. Ashley II of Charleston." »
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Ind. Courts - "No charges for van driver in buggy crash that killed 3"
This story today by Archie Ingersoll in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette begins:
A grand jury in Adams County has declined to file criminal charges against a van driver who rear-ended a horse-drawn buggy almost a year ago, killing three children and seriously injuring their mother.
The jury heard three days of testimony on the collision that happened about 8 a.m. April 17, 2012, west of Monroe, county Prosecutor Christopher Harvey said Tuesday in a written statement.
According to a crash report, the van driver, Chandler Gerber, told investigators the sun’s reflection off the road made it difficult to see. He also said he was texting a relative and going about 60 mph just before the crash, the report stated.
Gerber, of Bluffton, was 22 years old at the time. He was not injured, the report said.
The six-member jury deliberated for several hours before announcing its decision Friday. “Ultimately, the grand jury found that, while Mr. Gerber was negligent, even grossly negligent in his actions, his conduct did not amount to recklessness under Indiana law,” Harvey said in the statement.
Posted by Marcia Oddi on April 10, 2013 10:17 AM
Posted to Indiana Courts