« Ind. Decisions - 7th Circuit decides one Indiana case today, a reversal | Main | Ind. Courts - ‘Tis the Season: Will the Court of Appeals Issue a Slew of Opinions in the Final Five Opinion Days of 2013? »
Friday, December 20, 2013
Ind. Decisions - "Judge grants new trial for felon, says U.S. attorney’s office failed to disclose evidence"
Here is Jill Disis' long story in the Indianapolis Star. Some quotes:
A U.S. District Court judge has ordered a new trial for a western Indiana man convicted on federal gun possession charges who argued in his appeal that the U.S. attorney’s office failed to disclose evidence in his earlier trial.Here is the SD Ind. Judge Lawrence's 5-page, Dec. 18th ruling on Bickel's motion for a new trial. And here is the docket.
Donald Bickel, Jasonville, filed his appeal soon after he was convicted last month on one count of possession of a firearm by a felon and one count of possession of ammunition by a felon. He said federal prosecutors withheld key evidence, including statements from a witness claiming he, not Bickel, was the one who owned the weapons.
In his appeal, Bickel characterized the actions as a form of “prosecutorial misconduct.”
Posted by Marcia Oddi on December 20, 2013 01:20 PM
Posted to Ind Fed D.Ct. Decisions