« Law - Latest US News Law School Rankings leaked | Main | Ind. Law - Even more on "Could Indiana pass forfeiture reform this year?" »

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Ind. Gov't. - "Suit over emails takes turn: Asked to return to trial court to ensure AOL was included"

Supplementing this ILB post from yesterday (which includes links to the documents), and this long list of earlier ILB posts, see this story today in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. Niki Kelly reports:[ILB emphasis]

INDIANAPOLIS – Revelations that former Gov. Mike Pence used a private email account to conduct state business are complicating a public records dispute.

An Indianapolis lawyer who sued Pence – now vice president – filed an appeal last month asking the Indiana Supreme Court to review the case and asking for oral arguments to be set.

But on Monday, William Groth asked instead that the case be sent back to the trial court to evaluate whether Groth’s original 2014 public records request included the private AOL account.

“With these new disclosures, Mr. Groth believes Governor Pence’s private email accounts may not have been reviewed as part the governor’s response to his public records request, and is concerned some of those messages may have been responsive to his request,” court filings said.

One email recipient – “MRP” – was identified as Pence but his office redacted the email address. The office of the governor then took the position that the disclosure of the confidential email address may jeopardize internal security if disclosed to the public.

Groth’s latest court filing said the Indianapolis Star reported Pence turned over 13 boxes just a few days ago containing emails from his private email account to current Gov. Eric Holcomb to comply with Indiana’s requirement that private email messages be preserved under the state public records act.

Posted by Marcia Oddi on March 8, 2017 09:13 AM
Posted to Indiana Government